Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Close
You need to log in before you can reply       Login | Register now

[News] DJI Kicks Off 2016 DJI Developer Challenge

Author: DJI-Benz 2016-1-5 18:58
76 4454

Get ready to Build the Unimaginable because registration for the 2016 DJI Developer Challenge is now open. Flex your developer muscles in the world's most prestigious aerial robotics competition and receive exclusive DJI Developer equipment and the opportunity to win US$100,000 in prize money.

The 2016 DJI Developer Challenge, now in its third year, is a highly anticipated event for the startup and developer community. We are collaborating with Ford Motor Co. and the United Nations Development Program (UNPD) on this year’s developer challenge.

Disaster relief has benefited from recent developments in aerial technology and there is an increasing use of drones by emergency response units, NGOs and the government sector around the world. Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford has been at the forefront of turning its vehicles into smart, connected platforms.

This year, the challenge is centered around a theoretical search-and-rescue mission. Participants will be tasked with building an application that enables a drone to autonomously take off from a moving vehicle, collect data on the whereabouts of survivors and transmit the information from the disaster site back to the vehicle, then land autonomously on the same moving vehicle.

The winner of last year's challenge was UT-Dronefly from the University of Texas at Dallas and Penn State University. Their app was designed to conduct powerline inspection in a safer and more-efficient way. In 2014, the first year of the DJI Developer Challenge, Team BetterW from the South China University of Technology developed a forensics app specifically designed for highway accident investigations.

Fifteen teams will be shortlisted into the challenge’s second round. They will be provided with DJI’s flagship SDK aerial platform, the Matrice 100, as well as a Zenmuse X3 camera to mount on the Matrice. The teams must then provide progress reports leading up to the final competition. Ten teams will advance into the final round, where they will use their app to perform the mock search-and-rescue mission, taking off and landing on a moving Ford F-150 pickup truck and transmitting the data collected.

To apply or get more info about the 2016 DJI Developer Challenge, visit http://developer.dji.com/challenge2016. To sign up to become a DJI Developer or more information about the DJI SDK, visit http://developer.dji.com.

Regards,
The DJI Dev Team

This post contains more resources

You need to Login Before they can download or view, Not have an account?Register now

x
Replies
DJI-Benz
Dear Developers,

There are still 10 days left before the deadline for signing up for the 2016 DJI Developer Challenge and uploading your proposal. The DJI Dev Team have come up with a list of suggestions to help you better prepare your proposal.

1.        A detailed plan for the developer challenge. The event will last for months and it is separated into 3 rounds. We are looking for different output for each round. A good plan should synchronize with the event’s schedule. The main tasks for each round should be broke down into smaller tasks with different priorities.

2.        An introduction of the whole team with each member’s bio such as technical expertise and previous projects. The teams with the highest potential will be selected to enter the next round. Thus, the background for each team member would be an important reference.

3.        Description of the technologies involved. Although DJI SDK is convenient and easy to use, the developer is still facing several technical challenges in the event, especially in the vision area. The proposal should include one or more proposed solutions for each technical challenge.

Besides all the above, please get familiar with the equipment to be provided by DJI (M100, Guidance, Manifold and Zenmuse X3) and know what the equipment can do to help complete the challenge.

Best Regards,
DJI Dev Team
2016-3-2 14:40
Thekameleon
I am really looking forward to this challenge. I have one ask for the secondary objective, Visual Guided Flight, is it possible you can give more context on how you guys envision that being used in a rescue scenario. As a firefighter and first responder, I can think of many ways visual guided flight could be used. However in the search for survivors besides collision avoidance with objects / horizon awareness, I am not sure of other tasks where you think it would be used.
2016-1-14 17:25
Zaakir19
Has the deadline passed for my team to apply?
The staff at my University are very interested.
What is required to be in the proposal?
2016-1-19 17:12
zlazovski
This is fantastic!  I'd like to offer help to any team willing to round out their entry with making the images and video actionable by first responders and mission control.  I can potentially bring cloud software expertise that specializes in opening cases, attaching assets to those cases to assist in assignment and escalation.  If you have a team and would like to know more, I'd be willing to engage and help.
2016-1-22 04:45
DJI ft
Zaakir19 Posted at 2016-1-19 17:12
Has the deadline passed for my team to apply?
The staff at my University are very interested.
What i ...

The application is open till Mar 10. Please refer to the Official Rules on the challenge website for the requirement for the proposal. I would like to see your university's proposal soon!
2016-1-23 15:00
alanw66
What about ITAR and EAR constraints for US based participants? How were ITAR issues handled in past challenges? Is it DJI's expectation that US based teams will provide source code and/or compiled executables to the team sponsor based in China? Also, the proposal will definitely be considered an export for the purposes of compliance with US ITAR law so is it expected that the proposals coming from US teams will be high level and not contain specific details of the technical approach?
2016-1-26 19:31
fringley
Hi,

Is it possible to find out the physical size that the AprilTags will be?

Chris.
2016-2-10 19:01
cheryl
Last edited by cheryl In 2016-2-17 16:05 Editor

Can the UAV fly over the walls to get a birds eye view at the start or must it travel up and down the hallways?

2016-2-17 16:03
alanw66
Wow what is the point of even having this forum if all the questions go un f***ing answered?
2016-2-24 08:56
gotowinter
Trying to find out if University Lecturers / Post-doc researchers are eligible to enter this year.... as the t&c say:

Team members must be either (1) full-time undergraduate or graduate students at colleges or universities; (2) independent developers; or (3) individuals associated with or sponsored by non-academic organizations (such as companies, corporations, partnerships, etc.).

Anyone knows this please???
2016-2-24 18:23
DJI ft
alanw66 Posted at 2016-1-26 19:31
What about ITAR and EAR constraints for US based participants? How were ITAR issues handled in past  ...

Dear alanw66, for all participating teams, we are not asking for the source code to be included in the proposal. I have consulted our legal team about the ITAR and EAR compliance issue and will get back to you in the next few days. Thanks.
2016-2-25 15:59
DJI ft
fringley Posted at 2016-2-10 19:01
Hi,

Is it possible to find out the physical size that the AprilTags will be?

Dear fringley, the details about the AprilTags will be provided after the 25 qualifying teams for the 2nd round are selected.Thanks!
2016-2-25 16:24
DJI ft
cheryl Posted at 2016-2-17 16:03
Can the UAV fly over the walls to get a birds eye view at the start or must it travel up and down t ...

Dear cheryl, the flight path of the UAV is not restricted. So yes, the UAV can fly over the walls to get a birds eye view after taking off. Thanks.
2016-2-25 16:48
DJI ft
gotowinter Posted at 2016-2-24 18:23
Trying to find out if University Lecturers / Post-doc researchers are eligible to enter this year... ...

Dear gotowinter, yes, university lecturers/post-doc researchers are more than welcomed to enter this year. Sorry about the miscommunication.
2016-2-25 16:57
DJI ft
alanw66 Posted at 2016-2-24 08:56
Wow what is the point of even having this forum if all the questions go un f***ing answered?

Hi alanw66, sorry about not having responded to your question more promptly. We will try our best to answer the questions been posted asap. Thanks.
2016-2-25 17:01
DJI ft
Thekameleon Posted at 2016-1-14 17:25
I am really looking forward to this challenge. I have one ask for the secondary objective, Visual Gu ...

Dear Thekameleon, the Vision Guided Flight is a crucial part of the mission since the whole mission is expected to be fully automatic. Thus, vision technology plays a very important role in order to plan out the best path though the "searching area" and being able to identify the survivors. Thanks.
2016-2-25 17:28
judyjohnson100
Hello,

If we choose to use any third-party peripherals are we able to utilize any extra batteries?  (basically, are we able to use additional batteries independent of the battery on the drone.)

Judy
2016-3-3 11:34
2333333wqf
Last edited by 2333333wqf In 2016-3-3 19:25 Editor

Hi ft,

Can we use different  size apriltag on Ford,or the size just provided  by DJI, others can not change it?
2016-3-3 16:43
DJI ft
judyjohnson100 Posted at 2016-3-3 11:34
Hello,

If we choose to use any third-party peripherals are we able to utilize any extra batteries?  ...

Dear Judy,

As stated in the General Governing Rules section of the Official Rules, the entire mission must be completed with only 1 TB47 battery mounted on the M100. Thus, unfortunately, additional batteries independent of the battery on the drone will not be allowed.
2016-3-3 18:45
DJI ft
2333333wqf Posted at 2016-3-3 16:43
Hi ft,

Can we use different  size apriltag on Ford,or the size just  by DJI, others can not cha ...

The details of the AprilTag on the F150 will be provided after announcing the 25 qualified teams for the 2nd round, which may include total number of AprilTags, location and size of AprilTags. However, the AprilTag will be prepared and provided by DJI. The teams cannot add additional ones. You may make reasonable assumptions on the unknown variables to help you better plan your strategy. You can even include different strategies based on the different assumptions been made.
2016-3-3 19:07
sungwook87@kais
Hi there,

We are preparing for this competition and about to submit our proposal.
Then, I was wondering about the communication method between M100 and F150 (or with any other stuff). In Korea, we are using our LTE network via LTE modem, however, in case we go up for the final round in Hongkong, how can we communicate with M100 and F150. Will you offer any devices for Wifi or LTE network?
Thx

Sungwook Jung
2016-3-3 22:13
DJI ft
alanw66 Posted at 2016-1-26 19:31
What about ITAR and EAR constraints for US based participants? How were ITAR issues handled in past  ...

Dear alanw66,

As we posted earlier, the 2016 DJI Developer Challenge does not require any submission of source code. The competition does not even require submission of any object code.  The competition only asks you to submit  a technical plan as to how you propose to complete a specific mission relating to DJI’s Matrice 100.  You are free to configure your plan as you deem appropriate.

We do not believe that the ITAR requirements are relevant for the challenge.  The Matrice 100, like all of DJI’s aerial products, is a commercial, civilian UAV that does not fall under export control restrictions.  

Please let us know if you have any further questions. Of course, if you want specific legal advice, we recommend you consult with an export control lawyer.
2016-3-4 16:02
Karl Engstrom
In addition to our core engineering team as required by the Challenge, can we also have support team members or is the personnel limited to 5?
2016-3-5 04:05
huzefa
Hi,
We have been working on Autonomous landing of drone of Ford f150 uunder the assumption that we can use DJI libraries to detect AprilTag. But in hackathon, we came to know that we also need to detect April tags. And while I was reading the forum, it is said that you will also be providing location of April Tag. so question is,
Is approximate location of April tag in rescue area going to be provided in 2nd round?
If approximate location is provided, we just need to get to that location, detect the April tag and try to get more accurate location of April tag, Is my thinking correct?
Also, april tag wont be moving. Correct?
Please reply soon as deadline is close
2016-3-6 06:45
billrock_us.yah
Do we receive any confirmation that our proposal has been received?  I submitted an original proposal, and since then have updated it.  I submitted two updated proposals, but the only confirmation I get is the the upload has been complete.  Will we be receiving any kind of confirmation that the plan was received?
2016-3-7 06:45
judyjohnson100
Hi there,

When doing some research many of the links on the manifold system are returning 404 errors.   Just a head's up.

http://www.dji.com/search?cache=no&q=manifold

Judy
2016-3-7 13:46
judyjohnson100
Hi there,

When doing some research many of the links on the manifold system are returning 404 errors.   Just a head's up.

Judy
judyjohnson100
Hi there,

Judy
cstsdf@hotmail.
Hi,
If we can control M100 both using onboardSDK and Mobile SDK?
2016-3-8 08:35
DJI ft
sungwook87@kais Posted at 2016-3-3 22:13
Hi there,

We are preparing for this competition and about to submit our proposal.

The simulator provided by Ford will be able to communicate with your smartphone/M100 through wifi. During the final competition, a local wifi network covering the whole area will be provided so that both the F150 and your smartphone can get connected.
2016-3-9 17:00
DJI ft
Karl Engstrom Posted at 2016-3-5 04:05
In addition to our core engineering team as required by the Challenge, can we also have support team ...

As stated in the Official Rules, the total number of team members is limited to five. You are free to get advice and support from other people, but they will not be recorded as official team members. In addition, please do reference all the sources that been used.
2016-3-9 17:06
DJI ft
huzefa Posted at 2016-3-6 06:45
Hi,
We have been working on Autonomous landing of drone of Ford f150 uunder the assumption that we c ...

1. The location of the AprilTags in the searching area will NOT be provided.
2. AprilTags in the searching area will NOT be moving.
3. The earlier post about the details of the AprilTag was referring to the ones to be used on the Ford F150.
2016-3-9 17:13
DJI ft
billrock_us.yah Posted at 2016-3-7 06:45
Do we receive any confirmation that our proposal has been received?  I submitted an original proposa ...

There will not be a confirmation message for any specific plan been uploaded. Decisions will be made based on the latest version of the proposal been uploaded.
2016-3-9 18:21
DJI ft
cstsdf@hotmail. Posted at 2016-3-8 08:35
Hi,
If we can control M100 both using onboardSDK and Mobile SDK?

They can both be used to control the attitude of the aircraft but not simultaneously. Mobile SDK has a higher priority over Onboard SDK by default.
2016-3-9 18:55
Karl Engstrom
How many submission were received for the Challenge?  How are users informed of successful advancement or not into the 2nd Round? Thanks.
2016-3-12 00:29
Thekameleon
Last edited by Thekameleon In 2016-3-16 13:11 Editor
Karl Engstrom Posted at 2016-3-12 00:29
How many submission were received for the Challenge?  How are users informed of successful advanceme ...

I have the same question as Karl. Thanks in advance.
2016-3-15 02:57
Thekameleon
I thought the rules said they were to send the equipment to the 25 teams today, 3/19. Maybe we find out if we get the package in the mail?
2016-3-19 00:47
maxsmo2334
Anyone heard anything yet?
2016-3-19 23:22
uwleahcim
I haven't heard anything yet. I wonder how many teams applied.
2016-3-20 02:29
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Quick Reply Back to top Back to list
Quick Reply Back to top Back to list